Tuesday 13 November 2007

What's in a name?

Names are funny things. Some of us are more aware of them than others, but how much do they mean to us? It's just a name right.

When you look through the Bible, there are countless occasions where people get a name change after having a significant encounter with God. Abram to Abraham, Jacob to Israel, Saul to Paul. Each time God was saying, 'This is a new start. This is who you are.' Cool hey!

Personally, I've felt a little convicted when it comes to my name. After my experiences while living in the US of trying to explain my name was not Donnel or Darnel and finding that Dan was more easily understood, I have since stuck with it. Problem solved. But recently I've realised the importance of the 'iel' in my name. See the name Dan means judge or judged. Dan was one of Jacobs 12 sons who went on to become one of the tribes of Israel. The name Daniel, however, means 'God is my judge', with the 'iel' being the God part. Only a small difference, but in many ways a big one.

Therefore, I have decided that I will now introduce myself and sign off as Daniel, and if people want to call me Dan then that's fine, but I want to proclaim and live out the true meaning of my name, which recognises the Lord as my judge and the one that I fear.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock on brother!!!
I guess I better start keeping the 'el' in my name Michael (Who is like God?)- Mick
or is it Michael

Tanya Heasley said...

I have a thing about names too. When I was younger my name (Tanya -pronounced tan-ya) was very original, now everyone has heard of it, although most people pronounce it wrongly (they say tarn-yia) which I really don't like.

Thought your post was really interesting though, and educating.

Pellava Smith said...

hi Daniel,
sorry to flood ur comment wall, but i just wanted to post this old piece of scribble of mine here, as it sort of agrees with your wonderful posting!

"One being called by name...

During one day at work in customer service (my summer job) I answer about 350-450 phone calls. Most of them by first name (well, its recording) and in quite few days last week customers (mainly men and not always so sober) commented my first name. At first I didn't mind, but then as it kept on happening, it began first to annoy and then to hurt me. Without knowing really what was happening, it began to drag me downwards.

Then I read my bro Jack's blog where he had quoted Isaiah from 61:3 "...They will be called oaks of righteousness a planting of the Lord…" And I remembered that someone had once said that my name is oak in hebrew. Up to Google and there it was.. "אלה" My name means oak in hebrew and torch or bright light in greek. Oak is often referred as holy and royal tree in many cultures and i found it quite biblical to be called a light...

After I read that I also felt God saying to me once again that he made me intentionally and has indeed called me by name. Which are facts that enemy wants to steal and hide from me."

Eoh.2:10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

Ps.139:14 "I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well."

Hilde said...

Hello and happy new year!
I really enjoy reading your blog, and hope you'll be posting this year as well. :)
Greetings from Norway.