Thursday 1 November 2007

Compassion in suffering

Last Saturday I woke up with a funny tummy. It just didn't feel right. A visit to the toilet confirmed my fears, I was not well. As the day continued, I progressively got worse.

Between the hours of 11am and 3pm, I was vomiting every 20 minutes. I don't know where it was coming from. I was hot, then cold. I was sweating cold drops of water, which ran down my pale face. The only two places I visited were my bed and the toilet. It was not pleasant.

Inbertween each heave, I would groan a prayer to God "Please make it stop. No more", and it was during one of these times that God really spoke to me. As I knelt in my place of suffering (over the toilet!), God began to give me compassion for those who I know, and even those I don't, who have to live with physical suffering daily.

See, in the back of my mind, I knew that what I had was just a temporary thing. I had experienced tummy bugs before and knew it would stop (well at least I hoped it would), yet many deal with sickness where there seems no end. Terminal cancer, diabetes, epilepsy. Serious, painful conditions.

How do they cope? Where is their hope?

So as I knelt there, I found myself praying on behalf of others. I could feel their pain, albeit temporarily, and it sucked and I let God know this!

I don't want to be ill again soon, but I just found it amazing that in my place of pain and suffering, I was able to cry out for others. It just reminded me that Jesus understands our pain and suffering as he experienced it while he was here on earth as he was beaten and crucified for us.

It's given me a new perspective on what the cross means as Jesus intercedes for us now from heaven, with the scars still in his hands and side. It's also given me a fresh compassion for those who are suffering physically. I have so much respect for them.

There is a day coming when there will be no more pain and suffering. Lord, let it be soon. Amen.

No comments: