Friday 9 November 2007

Stepping into the past

One of the roles that I have at the moment is co-ordinating a week of 24-7 prayer a month for the whole of next year (2008) across Guildford in the UK. It's really exciting to see the response from churches and individuals to this idea and I think it's going to be a significant time as we seek to join with Jesus in what he's doing in the Town by spending time with Him and then following Him to those places and people.

I was talking about this with a friend the other day and we both recognised the importance of the generations before us who have faithfully prayed and sought the Kingdom for Guildford.

It's on their foundations that we are building this house of Prayer.

I was thinking about this for a while after and was just blown away by the thought (once again) that we are part of something a lot bigger than ourselves. I wonder how many people have prayed and dreamed about what we are about to undertake and here I am an outsider from Wales, helping make it happen. Why me?

It also makes me wonder about my own family and what I am stepping into there. We have been reading through the Old Testament and seeing the way God works through family. What promises have been given to my family that I am now either living out or am carrying? Are the dreams that God has put on my heart been given to my relatives before me?

This then makes me think about my own life and the choices I make. The main choice I have is whether to follow Jesus or not. When I choose to follow Jesus, I lay down my own life and dreams and take up my cross. But instead of this being a negative thing, what I am in fact doing is allowing God to be my Lord (or boss) and let him govern my life. Again, this can have negative connotations, but what we are in fact saying is that we want our lives to be lived in the way they were supposed to be. To carry and fulfill the promises that God has for us, without us getting in the way. We then allow the story of God to continue in our lives that His Kingdom would come and His name glorified. Another word for this is Humility.

This is both amazing yet mysterious. It leaves us with a healthy fear-of-the-Lord, where we realise that we did not choose God, but He chose us.

Maybe our choice is not in fact to choose Jesus like some commercial brand, but to accept our position in creation and to live our lives in obedience to the creator and his sovereign plan. This is where we find life in all its fullness.

2 comments:

Lauren Newman said...

Hi Dan,
Interesting comments, that's something that I've been wrestling with myself. Cheers - Lauren :)

Brian said...

dan, any chance you could sent this to me as an article for the 24-7 prayer website?