Friday 24 October 2008

Discipleship

I've started reading 'The Cost of Discipleship' by Dietrich Bonhoeffer and am finding it hard to get past a paragraph on page 58 as it has both captured and provoked me;

"The disciple is dragged out of his relative security into a life of absolute insecurity (that is, in truth, into the absolute security and safety of the fellowship of Jesus), from a life which is observable and calcuable (it is, in fact, quite incalcuable) into a life where everything in unobservable and fortuitous (that is, into one which is necessary and calcuable), out of the realm of finite (which is in truth the infinite) into the realm of infinaite possibilties (which is the one liberating reality)."

Would love to hear your thoughts on this...

2 comments:

Dave Carrol said...

I think it's the reality... and the world needs more apostles to step into what they've been called to be.

Cool blog man
dave

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are you're way deeper than me because it took me two reads to understand it!