Monday 4 June 2007

FaceSpace

After months of constant and prolific peer pressure as well as a curiosity that would have killed a whole alley of cats, I have become a member of the unstoppable phenomenon that is facebook. Having already been a part of myspace for a while, I am some what used to this quite surreal world of friendship.

It has many benefits.

I can keep in contact with friends from all over the world. This gives me a chance to see how they're doing, encourage them and steal their photo's!!!

But I also have concerns.

When does it become a security thing? My identity? An ego trip ('How many friends have you got?')? An escape? What is the point where we lose touch with reality? With those around us? When the time spent on myspace/facebook replaces time spent with family/housemates/neighbours then I don't feel it's healthy. If it eats into our time with God, then it becomes serious. It can take the form of an idol.

Is it even true friendship?

For me, friendship requires sacrifice. Syber friendships provide a safe, easy way to keep in contact that means we can hide behind our screens and let people know what we want them to know because that's all they'll know.

So what am I rambling on about??? Well, I just feel that we should enjoy and use these means of communication, but not forget those around us!!! That we should really think about what friendship is and make sure we live it out.

Here's a challenge.

For those of you on facebook/myspace, try fasting it for a week (or even a month) and make an effort to get to know your neighbours, work colleges, shop owners. Learn their names, invite them to your house for dinner. Love them!

Let me know what happens!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts mate; something I've been thinking about aswell, but I believe it's ok aslong it works in harmony with a real life community. It can enhance and add to real community, rather than take away. Could I give it up for a month? Yeah, but I might miss a lot of activity that keeps me in the loop. I love being relational; this is the backdrop to the world I live in, and facebook helps me with this. Good question though, particularly around identity. We can market ourselves very easily now online...

Anonymous said...

i totally agree. i can't believe i've finally given in to facebook! fasting it is a good idea.